Monday 22 July 2013

Kaffe Fassett Exhibition in London

A few weeks ago I went up to London to see the Kaffe Fassett 'A Life in Colour' exhibition at the Fashion and Textile Museum in London. I've seen lots of his work before, but the last time I saw his work in an exhibition was years ago - also in London... so it was nice to see again some of the designs I saw years ago.... and some newer things as well. Unusually the exibition allowed you to take photos, so as you can see I was busy snapping away!

More recently Kaffe Fessett has ventured into patchwork, as well as knitting and needlepoint, and the patchwork pieces were some of my favourite items in the exhibition - his use of colour is so vibrant and amazing :-)





 The needlepoint designs, of course, are beautiful too - he really does love pattern and strong colours. Below is a detail of a needlepoint chair seat - I really like the 'mosaic' effect of lots of seemingly random little images put next to each other.


 Although I do really like the 'busy' colours and images some of the designs that use a softer colour palette are really lovely - like this long stitch rug below:


 And these more muted colours below are great too...


Blue and white patterns, (on china etc.) seem to be a recurring theme of his - this cushion below reminds me of the first ever Kaffe Fassett book I bought - 'Glorious Needlepoint'? ....I think! His love of colours, pattern, textiles and the painterly quality of Kaffe Fassett's work really inspired me in my younger days to take up needlepoint design - and then eventually cross stitch design too!


I took lots of photos, too many to post really - but I've just picked out a few of my favourite things here :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment